Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Don't Leave Items in Boxes, Closets— Do Shadowbox

I think spring may finally be on its way. Every year at about this time, I start to wonder if we'll ever have warm days again. Well, the bulbs are starting to come up and we have had a few sunny (and cold) days.
We're almost there.



We were busy at my house this past weekend cleaning up the last of our storm debris and starting a bit of a spring purge and cleaning the house inside. When I get into "purge mode," I always come across items that I want to keep: heirlooms, kids' art, mementos but I don't know what to do with them.
I usually take them out of their box a couple times a year, reminisce, then they're back in the box for another six months. You would think I would come to the conclusion at some point that if they're worth keeping, maybe I should also enjoy them more than twice a year? And maybe others could too?
I should take cues from our customers. Over the past several months, we have framed an heirloom quilt square, a piece of scrimshaw, an antique needlepoint sampler, a golf ball with tee and an Olympic sports jerseys.






The list goes on and on.
The point is, things that are important to us, things that we want displayed in our homes aren't always flat. No problem, because it can be framed!
People often ask me what kinds of things do you frame? My response is everything. If it can make it through our door, we can usually frame it.





Now is a great time to come in with your treasured items taking up space in boxes inside your closets. Lakewood Gallery & Framing is having its annual framing sale through the entire month of March. All custom framing projects are 20 percent off. Better than that, we love a challenge.
What is the story behind your item? Are there photos that go along with it that could be included? These usually turn into great conversation starters to have in your home.
Now I have challenged myself too! I'm going to frame my items at home that I love, but never get to enjoy. Stay tuned.... you may see those projects in progress on here! Happy spring, well, almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment